To: "'leica-users'" <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: M4-2
From: KEVIN BURKE <KBURKE@iterated.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 96 11:07:00 EDT
Encoding: 37 TEXT

[...]

At one point in time I owned a Canadian black-chrome M4-2/MR.  I had
picked the M4-2/MR up used but it looked good and sounded solid at
the time.  Over the first six months of use, I noticed the rangefinder image
alignment was off, a mysterious light leak appeared and the shutter
speeds at and below 1/8 were inaccurate if not exercised daily.  This
was my "knock about" body so I attributed all this to use and sent it to
Leica NJ for a CLA.

About three repeat trips later, the light leak was gone and the slow shutter
speed reliability was a little better.  Things were still not quite up to
what I
wanted in the camera and I was growing tired of shipping the camera to NJ.
I tried a recommended independent Leica tech who had many years
experience (including working for Leica).  What I ended up with was
spending a lot of time on the phone getting chapter and verse about how
crappy the M4-2 (and all later models) were and how I'd be sending it back
regularly to get it fixed or adjusted.  I'd encountered this attitude
numerous
times and decided that the problem might have less to do with the camera
than with the person slamming my M4-2, M4-P and M6.  I don't know the
details of materials, design and workmanship over the many models of
M cameras, so I could be out to lunch.  It was apparent that I wasn't
going to get an unbiased opinion from this particular service tech.

Ultimately I sold the M4-2.  Lately I've noticed that certain models
(Wetzlar
versions with the red roundel (?) on the front) have gotten attention from
collector's.  I'd consider buying another one (non-collectable) if I could
find
a service person not predisposed to seeing it fail.

 - Kevin

kburke@iterated.com