To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Your Thoughts on Flash Units ... M6
From: Klaus Mathisen <klausm@online.no>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 19:03:59 +0200 (MET DST)

At 10:44 22.09.96 -0700, you wrote:
>I've been looking at a couple of flashguns. They (it) will be used with
>the M6 for general and fill flash. The two or three that look good (to
>me) are the Vivitar 285 HV, the Metz 32 CT7 (expensive), the 40MZ-2
>(again, expensive).
>
>The Vivitar runs about $81 through B&H ... new.
>
>The unit would primarily be used for fill flash with some indoor work.
>Any ideas?
>
>I lean toward the Vivitar due to cost, it seems to do everything the Metz
>units do ... just less expensive.
>
>Additionally, if I buy an R 6.x the same unit will work. What happens if
>I slide down the automation path and purchase an R 7? Another flash unit?
>
>Glenn
>
>Glenn Thrall
>gthrall@ix.netcom.com

Glenn,

I'm afraid you have to face up to the fact that the Metz 40 MZ-2 is probably
the best compact flash around. I've owned all kinds of Metzes and Vivitars,
as well as proprietary TTL-flashes for Nikon, Canon and Olympus, but none
has ever been near the performance of the 40 MZ-2. Straight ahead shots are
properly exposed on automatic - very few flashes achieve that. Indoors,
bounce the main flashead against the ceiling and use the -2 filter on
auxiliary head for closeups and get super portraits with just the right
catchlight effect. Even the Nikon F90X and SB 26 combo can't beat the Metz
with a Leica (except for ease of use). As a matter of fact, I've used this
flash in TTL-mode with SCA-adapter with Leica R-series cameras, as well as
in automatic with the M6. No big difference. It's simply great. If you can
afford an M6, you owe it to yourself (and your Leica) to get the best. Start
saving.

Regards,

Klaus

Klaus N. Mathisen