To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: More newby questions
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 10:00:35 -0400

At 07:11 AM 9/26/96 -0400, Ken Wilcox wrote:

>The 20mm Russian will work with the camera but is not optically
>up to Leica standards. It is, however, MUCH less expensive than the >21mm
Super-Angulon.

I'm really not certain I'd agree with this, as it depends what optical
characteristic you're analyzing.  The Russar is a Topogon clone, and as such
suffers from the slow speed inherent in that design.  But it is a bit
sharper, has less distortion, and less edge fade-out than the Super-Angulon
design.  The Topogon is a superlative design and, for all its slowness, is
quite competitive today.  Of course, Russian quality control is sloppy,
sloppy, sloppy, and some of these lenses are undoubtedly dogs.  But the most
of them seem quite sound performers and certainly most of those who use them
seem content with their qualities.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!