To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Your Thoughts on Flash Units ... M6
From: Charles E. Dunlap <cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 96 09:40:16 -0700

>I hate to keep harping on it, but the 283 is death on newer
>electronic cameras that use low volatge tripping circuits.
>
>===========
>Eric Welch
>Grants Pass, OR

Back when I was looking into purchasing a flash I encountered the same
warning in the rec.photo newsgroups. The response from a couple of people
was that while the older 283s were a problem, the newer ones were not. I
can't confirm or deny that the 283 has undergone a modification to make
it safe, but I've been using my 283 purchased in 1995 on a modern AF
camera (and my M6) without trouble. If someone only uses flash
occasionally, as I do, it's a good choice. I'd rather save the money for
another lens.

-Charlie

            Charles E. Dunlap
            Earth Sciences Dept.
            University of Calif.
            Santa Cruz, CA 95064

          cdunlap@earthsci.ucsc.edu
408-459-5228 (office)    408-459-3074 (FAX)