To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: R8
From: "Roger L. Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 13:11:15 -0700 (MST)

>This group is considerably more civilized than the rec.photo.whatsis bunch. I
>too prefer the minimalist approach. A Leica is a body for the optics. Perhaps
>that is why I prefer M's. I confess to the fleeting lustful thought of an R6.x
>and will probably give in soon.

Do it, Glen, do it! A 6.2, that is. I recently traded an R7 for a 6.2. The
blasted R7 was even *more* complex than I wanted, having sold an EOS1n to
get the R7. The 6/6.2 will give you the strong points of a SLR with all the
good feelings  (nearly) as the M line in RFs. Imagine, YOU have to set the
ASA (like an M), YOU must select the shutter speed and aperture (like an M),
& You have only  to decide which metering option to employ (unlike an M)!
I'm loving it! After loading Ms, the Rs seem a lark even w/o autoloading. I
think that as a group, photographers often lose sight of the fact that each
photo is nothing more than a shutter speed and an aperture setting (good
focus assumed). Automation can't do any more than that!

>Perhaps even an R8. Hideous is in the eye of the beholder.

If I were real interested in an R8 [which I'm not, at this time :-)], and
even considering the venerability and reputation of Leica, I'd be waiting a
year before buying the R8. That's a pretty complex piece of work and could
require a bit of debugging. Besides-the R9 will have AF!

>Of course I've also spent the weekend reading the latest edition of the
Leica R
>Compendium by Eastland. Many lustful thoughts were generated.

I bought into the R line, Glenn, for two reasons. To get back closer to
God's simplicity, AND, to be able to use the 2.8/100 R APO Macro lens. It's
stunning!
--
Roger Beamon,  Naturalist & Photographer
                          Docent:  Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum

Replies: Reply from "Glenn Wm. Thrall" <gthrall@ix.netcom.com> (Re: R8)