To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: R8
From: "Glenn Wm. Thrall" <gthrall@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 17:36:29 -0700

Roger L. Beamon wrote:

> >This group is considerably more civilized than the rec.photo.whatsis bunch. I
> >too prefer the minimalist approach. A Leica is a body for the optics. Perhaps
> >that is why I prefer M's. I confess to the fleeting lustful thought of an R6.x
> >and will probably give in soon.
>
> Do it, Glen, do it! A 6.2, that is. I recently traded an R7 for a 6.2. The
> blasted R7 was even *more* complex than I wanted, having sold an EOS1n to
> get the R7. The 6/6.2 will give you the strong points of a SLR with all the
> good feelings  (nearly) as the M line in RFs.

I probably will do so in the very near future. The F4s is a fine machine, but it just isn't fun.
Now that sounds strange ... however after I retired from the rat race I found I didn't need a
zillion bells and whistles. I enjoy photography, but I don't enjoy having a machine make decisions
for me.

I know, I can switch to "manual." When the family (not to mention my grand daughter) get antsy
because I don't just push a button, as often as not I switch to "auto-stupid" and get it over with.
Not fun at all. In addition, I haven't found an autofocus camera I can't beat for focus sharpness
with an M Leica or my old Rollei ... notwithstanding three eye operations! That doesn't say much
for autofocus or newer machines' "auto-stupid" mode.

The R6.x is the closest slr I have found to the M. And, this is about having fun and taking good
photographs isn't it? In any event, Roger is absolutely right. At this stage in my life I'd rather
make my own mistakes than have a machine make them for me!

I do like to look at the latest whiz bang stuff. I'm not a Luddite, not after rebuilding this
computer half a dozen times! How better to simplify than with Leica optics?

> If I were real interested in an R8 [which I'm not, at this time :-)], and
> even considering the venerability and reputation of Leica, I'd be waiting a
> year before buying the R8. That's a pretty complex piece of work and could
> require a bit of debugging. Besides-the R9 will have AF!

I suppose I'm interested in anything "Leica" ... or "Zeiss." In either case, nice glass!

> >Of course I've also spent the weekend reading the latest edition of the
> Leica R Compendium by Eastland. Many lustful thoughts were generated.
>
> I bought into the R line, Glenn, for two reasons. To get back closer to
> God's simplicity, AND, to be able to use the 2.8/100 R APO Macro lens. It's
> stunning!
> --

When my wife called some of her relatives in Germany today ... I thought, now's the time!
Unfortunately, it appears Leica gear runs more in Germany than it does in the United States (due to
their VAT).

A hot sweat ran down my forehead. Quickly, I called Tamarkin! no answer. Closed, like B&H.

Foolish mortal! I checked my local friendly shop. They had ... 1 ... R7 ... in stock. Minty fresh
and new, and only ... a bit more than $3K (!!!! Don't they read the advertisements in SB?). No R6,
no R6.2.

I took a cold shower. I'll find a nice "R", just not today.

Glenn

Glenn Thrall
gthrall@ix.netcom.com