To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: R Drives and Winders
From: cdhoover@pacbell.net
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 08:18:52 -0800

I've used the older winder for the R3 without the grip and liked the
balance it lended to the body (the camera became roughly square). 2fps
was usually enough for my purposes.

I now use the drive with the 5 & 7. The drive will power the 4 & 5,
but I believe the 7 draws power from only its own batteries. The
handgrip with strap is great, but the shutter release won't lock
exposure in (a) mode. So I'm often unlooping my finger and using the
normal shutter release. Not a big problem; most people won't be using
a drive with spot mode anyway. The grip removed, you have a nice
vertical firing button. I still mainly use the drive on 2fps setting,
maybe because I dont focus fast enough for true action sports (if
these bodies had predictive AF, I might tend to use 4fps and shoot
more action shots!)

One thing I've heard with motor drives in general is that if the
situation is too dark to permit hand held shots; a quick burst (1-2)
of a drive at 4 or so fps will give you at least one or two sharp
images in the middle of the run. Anyone ever try this with a Leica
drive?

Have had two mysterious incidences of complete battery drain (checked
with a VM, those babies were dead). I suggest removing the battery
cartridge for storage.

The drives with new style grip should run only $300-400.

Good luck!

Chris H.
cdhoover@pacbell.com

Message from "Michael L. Gardner" <mikeg@neca.com> (Re: R Drives and Winders)