To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M6 emotive quality
From: "Roger L. Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 19:52:19 -0700 (MST)

At 01:08 PM 10/3/96 -0400, Marc James Small wrote:
>Once again, I find myself disagreeing with Mr Love.
>
>I used to be a journalist.  I take a lot of people pictures.  I'm pretty
>active in community affairs and find myself photographed with some
>frequency.  I know that how I react to being photographed has affected how I
>photograph others, and its a matter of politeness.
>
>Simply put, when others photograph me, if they come at me with a wide-angle
>lens and get in my face, my reaction starts with my right hand and ends with
>my middle finger.  They can bloody well back off and photograph me from
>across the room.

Well, I hope you grew up in an area that taught you how to fight, Marc.
Where I came from, I don't care what transpired before, when you raised the
middle finger accompanied by the proper utterance in Italian, you best be
prepared to back it up!

>Thus, I do almost all my people shots with either an 85mm or a 90mm lens,
>rarely with a 50mm, and never with anything wider.  I simply don't have to
>be jumping down a guy's face to relate to him.  If you want to take people
>pictures, then learn how to relate without being offensively close.

Ya gotta admit, Marc, that a guy with a real friendly face and the proper
body language, can get right in the thick of it and come out with pics that
would be unavailable to you and me! It's simply a case of some can and some
can't!

>I suppose you'll next suggest that doing the macarena is a necessary part of
>photography as well?

Why not? The Democrats are about to win the presidency again Ugh! It must
have been the macarena at their convention.
--
Roger Beamon,  Naturalist & Photographer
                          Docent:  Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum