To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Emotive lenses
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 1996 12:55:35 -0400

At 09:13 AM 10/4/96 -0400, George R. Zachar wrote:

>As light bending is pure physics, and film processing is pure chemistry,
>there (by definition) is an objective explanation for the effects
>sketched out above.

The explanation is simple and derives from fairly basic physics.  This was
first thought out by Max Berek and was to remain a Leitz design philosophy
into the 1980's, though newer designs are set to satisfy more traditional
criteria.

Berek realized that if the out-of-focus images had enhanced fuzziness, the
in-focus portions would seem even sharper than they actually were.
Therefore, his designs had residual aberrations to accomplish this, and the
effect is to make the in-focus portion "pop out" of the print.  Thus, the
"Leica glow", as the Europeans name it, results.

Leitz customarily tested their lens designs by a 'final image' standard and
not by MTF, though this was to be adopted in the later 1980's and is now
their norm.  The addition of a Zeiss-trained optical engineer in the last
several years as Leica's head of optical design has certainly established
that all future designs will be to bench-test-performance standards.  (Which
may be why I'll continue cheerfully with my older lenses, as Herr Puts seems
to have some problems remembering the history of Leitz and Max Berek.)

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

Replies: Reply from "Glenn Wm. Thrall" <gthrall@ix.netcom.com> (Re: Emotive lenses (Question about DR Lens))