To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Emotive lenses
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 1996 09:56:25 -0400

At 02:30 PM 10/5/96 BST-1, David Morton wrote:

>However if we look further down the list:
>
>             Leica R         Nikon MF      Difference
>400mm f2.8   9980            8760          14%
>80-200mm f4  1400            1200          17%
>
>which hardly lends credence to your 'designed without a thought for the
>price' argument, does it?
>
>Indeed I would suggest that the price points show that Leica are
>*directly* competing with Nikon in this area. And once they've chosen to
>compete, they will be blown by the same economic winds which affect every
>other manufacturing company.

I think it shows the exact opposite:  Nikon has some serious lenses in its
line which are intended for professional use.  These lenses are designed and
built to a higher standard than the lenses they intend more for the amateur
market.  And they can thus price these lenses close to the Leica-R line.
Leica, after all, really makes nothing but professional-level gear but Nikon
caters to a much broader swathe of the market.

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!