To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Emotive lenses
From: dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 96 21:31 BST-1
Cc: dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk

> I think it shows the exact opposite:  Nikon has some serious lenses in
> its
> line which are intended for professional use.  These lenses are
> designed and
> built to a higher standard than the lenses they intend more for the
> amateur
> market.  And they can thus price these lenses close to the Leica-R line.
> Leica, after all, really makes nothing but professional-level gear but
> Nikon
> caters to a much broader swathe of the market.
>
> msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
> Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

Curious, then, that by your analysis the 85 f1.4 Nikkor winds up in the
'amateur' category (despite the fact that they make an f2 version), and
the 80-200 f4 in the 'professional', which is directly contrary to my
experience of lens ownership in the UK, where the amateur who owns *any*
fixed focal length lenses is very much in the minority.

I'm also looing at an 85mm f1.4 and the 80-200 f4 as I type, and the
different quality of construction is not evident, not is it in the
photographs I've taken with them over the years.

dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk      |
david@cassandra.compulink.co.uk  |  "The loss of an old man
(+44) 181 450 5459               |  is like the destruction
                                 |  of a library"
Kilburn, London, England         |