To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: CL vs CLE features?
From: eenitka@ibm.net
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 1996 17:44:09 -0700

joe b. wrote:

> Could someone who is familiar with these two cameras please list their
> features and explain the differences? This information seems quite hard
> to come by. I notice most of the discussion here is about the CL but the
> CLE sneaks an honourable mention here and there.
> --
> joe b.

Joe - I can only add my $0.01 (1/2 of $0.02:) as I have only the CLE.  In fact
I just got back from Rochester, NY going to the Geo. Eastman House ( wonderful on
a cool Fall day)having taken the CLE with me.  CLE was and remains a gem of a camera.
I got it at a time when i couldn't afford a Leica body but wanted a 'platform' to use
Leica lenses with.  I has standard 35mm SLR loading and rewind. It is aperture priority
in the 'A' (automatic) mode.  The one drawback is that the meter shuts off when you leave
the auto mode.  You can make a meter reading in auto and then go manual.  It offers +2 thru -2
stop adjustments.  The rangefinder portion of the viewfinder is not as large or as bright
as it's Leica counterpart.  It is much lighter than M4 or M6 and the lens are also much
lighter.  It has TTL Flash unit that still can be bought used for about $150. I have used
the Leica Tele-elamrit 90 , Summicron 50 and Summilux 35 on it without problems.  Batteries
are still availabal as the s76 ( two of 'em).  I gather that this was a sticking point on
the CL tho the Wein Battery is back to save the day for the CL and M5.  My wife has literally
and truthfully threatened legal action if I EVER think of trading the CLE away ( this is another
story best left to a future posting or another group REC. PHOTO.NEAR_DIVORCE.STORIES).

Ernie

Replies: Reply from Fred Ward <fward@erols.com> (Re: CL vs CLE features?)