To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Hmm Great new question - AGE
From: "Glenn Wm. Thrall" <gthrall@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 1996 06:08:52 -0700

Bert Keuken wrote:

> cdhoover@pacbell.net wrote:
> >
> > I'm an R user who just turned 31; maybe when I'm older I'll get an M.
> >
> > Chris H.
>
> What do you mean? How old do you have to be to use a Leica M? 40-ish?
> I'm 30 and have been using Leica M since I was 25. I started with an M4
> plus 35mm Summaron. Now I own an M6 plus 28/35/90 lenses.
>
> Bert

Hmmm. Good example of serendipity in the interaction between Chris and
Bert. While my BRAIN may believe it is 25 or so, TIME and wear and tear
have left me with less than optimal vision. The "R" has a very good view
screen, the "M" is even better.

Thus, while my vision at over 50 is adequate, the screen on the "M"
provides a greater degree of comfort. The screen on the F4s is excellent
as are the screens in the Canon line, on the "R" better, on the M
rangefinder outstanding.

Perhaps as our eyes age, we are drawn to one of two solutions ...
autofocus and "auto-everything" equipment, or if making decisions is
important a manual camera is the choice. If we pick a manual camera we
are drawn to equipment with higher comfort levels. I'm able to focus the
rangefinder as if my eyes were 25.

If they really were 25 or 30, I might be able to do an even better job.

Just a random thought.

Glenn
--
Glenn Wm. Thrall