To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Value of Lost Equip.
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 1996 22:05:38 -0400

At 11:00 AM 10/6/96 -0600, ben.holmes wrote:
>I've gone blind reading Shutterbug ads looking for equipment similar to that
>which I've lost. I'm faced with calculating a replacement value for each
>item.  My method has been to take all examples and calculate an average
>price. Does this fly with insurance companies? Anyone ever have such an
>experience? Any suggetions for finding more prices (the larger the sample
>the better the numbers)?

The 'Bug reflects ASKING prices:  selling prices are sometimes 10% or so
below these.  Insurance companies are more likely to accept appraisals from
three large dealers -- send them a list of what you were robbed of and ask
them to provide an estimate for insurance purposes.  Some won't help you
without charging but others will -- I suspect Dan Black, for instance, and
Stan Tamarkin would be willing to help, though both are quite involved for
the next week or ten days.  And, of course, ask the insurance company
adjustor first to see what they want.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!