To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M3 and Summicron 50, production differences
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 1996 09:36:20 -0400

At 08:44 AM 10/8/96 +0200, Erwin Puts wrote:

>To start with the last question. There is a suggestion by McKeown that
>M3-models  with a serial number above 1.000.000 are in some mysterious way
>better than their predecessors.

and

>I do not have any explanation why this rumour is so persistent. Maybe it is
>just a trick by sellers of Leica equipment to get some more money out of
>the deal.

RESPONSE:  It's not McKeown's suggestion:  he's merely saying what is a
market truth, at least in this country, that M3's with s/n above 1,000,000
cost more than do earlier ones.  I do not think the dealers are pushing
this:  the public seems to have intuitively grasped at this one on their
own.  I do agree that it is foolish, however.

>My very personal opinion: I would not buy a two stroke M3, not because of
>quality problems, but simply ease of use.

RESPONSE:  This is a matter of choice.  I've owned a number of M3's and the
double-stroke is as easy to use, once you're accustomed to it, as is the
single-stroke.  In any event, conversion from double to single stroke is a
rather simple matter for a competent repairman, and I'd not turn down a good
deal on an M3 of either sort!

>Any other M3 is a great buy, but beware of the yellowing' (darkening) of
the >viewfinder. This is caused by deterioration of the internal coating. I
do not agree >with some of this group that this defect is easily repairable.

RESPONSE:  Perhaps John Van Stelten can help us out here.  I believe the
yellowing is more likely the result of deteriorating cement in the prism
assembly.  This is a rather nasty thing to have repaired.  Solms DX's these,
but at about $500 a unit, so it IS a bit expensive.  On the other hand, a
simple darkening may just be smut and smudge buildup on the glass surfaces,
which is easily cleaned once the topcover is off.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

Replies: Reply from John Van Stelten <focalpt@ecentral.com> (Re: M3 and Summicron 50, production differences)