To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M3 and Summicron 50, production differences
From: John Van Stelten <focalpt@ecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 1996 14:52:34 -0600

Marc,

You are absolutely right about the rangefinder yellowing, coming from
deterioration of the cement.  The M-3 has a beamsplitter that is a split cube
and cemented to the front is a minus lens and on the side there is another plus
lens cemented there.  Since these early rangefinders were cemented with
balsam, they have a tendency (with age) to crystalize,giving a yellowish hue.
Since there are three different cemented surfaces this can really affect the light
transmission.
I also agree about Bob Shell, when I see his photographs, it reminds me of
what Victoria Secret might look like with a $100 budget.

John