To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Large prints
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 00:37:40 -0700

At 07:13 PM 10/8/96 -0600, you wrote:
>This has eluded me for many years, even after extensive testing
>with slow speed B&W films and fine grain developers. Perhaps "Perutz"
>is referring to "pyro"? I don't know. However, from personal experiences,

No, Perutz was something on the market 50 years ago. Developed to make fine
grianed films of the day work faster, yet minimize grain and increase
sharpness.

Pyro, I believe, is more appropriate for printing, not negatives. But who
knows, creative people can make something work for what it wasn't intended
and fool the experts.

The finest grain (yielding soft negatives) would be Kodak's Tech Pan film
with Tech Pan developer. You will never be able to match 35mm with MF,
because whatever you do with 35mm can also be done with the Mf film too.

But Sebastiao Salgado made beautiful 16x20 prints with a V35 enlarger and
Tri-X film, buy you wouldn't be fooled into thinking it's MF. But I say,
who cares? Grainy 16X20s have a wonderful aesthetic beauty anyway!

Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR