To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Large prints
From: JayPax@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 00:11:13 -0400

<< Perhaps there is something to be said about the _users_ in addition
 to the equipment itself. Without trying to be patronizing, I wonder
 if indeed Leica optics reach beyond the limits that the film has
 to offer, such that the format size becomes the limiting factor
 regarding the quality of large prints? >>

George:

I think there is some truth in that statement.  I believe the distinction of
Leica glass essentially is the contrast (and not necessarily sharpness) and
color rendition they provide.....especially in poor light.

I find that since using Leica equipment, my photos taken with an autofocus
auto-everything techno-wizard gadgets are better, too.  I find that I take
more time to focus (or I should say make sure the AF has zeroed in on the
correct focus point), compose, and pay attention to the
fundamentals.....things such as holding the camera still or using a tripod.
 We would be amazed what sharpness and punch we lose in our images by not
having the camera absolutely still.

Now, that is not to say that following all these constraints will give you
the same images with Nikon, Canon, etc. that you will get from a Leica [I
don't want to get kicked off this board!!!   :) ], but it significantly
narrows the gap.

In other words, using manual equipment forces you to get back to be basics of
image making that I believe are lost when we are carried away by automation.

I will give you a concrete example of what I mean.  I was on a beach a year
or so ago with my kids in Canada and spent the whole afternoon shooting the
seagulls, etc. with a Leica R camera and 180 lens.  At the time, I lamented
not having autofocus.  When I got the slides back and put them under the
loupe, I was pleasantly surprised and amazed that most of the images were
tack sharp and right on.  A few, were not, but I believe that I achieved
equal or better results that I would have experienced had I been using an AF
camera which would have been searching for a focus point on the blue sky all
afternoon.  I just stopped down, anticipated where the subject would be and
pressed the shutter at the right time.  I believe I was a real photographer
at the time.  Any idiot can push a button on an auto-gadget.  I am not
denegrating AF technology or those who use it....I just do not believe that
it is a gurantee of better images.

Jay P.

JayPax@aol.com