To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Which camera to buy?
From: dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 96 21:12 BST-1
Cc: dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk

Donny Levan wrote:

[snip]
> I have sold most of my other equipment, lights and such, and am ready to
> make some equipment purchases. I want to end up with one 35mm, and one
> 2.4 body.
>
> I enjoy doing a upclose and personal style of photography where I am
> spending time with my subjects and documenting their experiences. I am
> currently working with hospice as a counselor, and see a story coming in
> the future. I am begining to enjoy doing outdoor senic photography as
> well, though here in FLAT Florida I don't feel totally inspired.
>
> Having quit my career in newspapers I have am now shooting just for me.
> I am in the process (for the first time) of enlarging a few frames for
> my wall. I want to maximize my chances of creating  strong images, and I
> realize that quality and sharpness of the lenses have a serious impact.
>
> I think the Leica M6 is the 35 camera I am going to buy, but it is
> rather expensive. The other options as I see it are the MP4 or the M2. I
> like to use cameras that do not rely on battery power, and I use a hand
> meter so having a meter is not essential.
[snip]

This sort of thing is very personal, but from your description I think a
good 2&1/4 would be a Rolleiflex 3.5f Planar (cheaper, lighter, better
balanced than the 2.8 (which is an expensive 'collector' in most areas),
and arguably sharper over a wider range of apertures).

For the 35mm M I'd opt for the M4P (reasonable number around used,
including some non-pristine 'user' kit at non-stratospheric prices).

On the M4P I'd be looking for a 35mm and a 90mm to start with, but then
I'm not a fan of the 50mm focal length.

dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk      |  "The loss of an old man
david@cassandra.compulink.co.uk  |  is like the destruction
Kilburn, London, England.        |  of a library"