To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 50mm focal length
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 06:09:49 +0800 (SGT)

>I would like to find out how many of you prefer the 50mm focal length to
>other focal lengths.
>
>If you prefer other focal lengths on the M camera, I would like to know why.
>
>My reasons for using the 50mm length have nothing to do with the teachings
>of Cartier Bresson. I simply like this length.
>
>The popular wisdom is that 90mm lenses make good portrait lenses. I find
>that the 50mm length can also be very useful in this role.
>
>I just don't why one would want to use a 135mm lens on the M camera. In the
>past, I had a viewfinder for this focal length, but found that it did not
>work very well. In particular, there was a discrepancy between its frame and
>the rangefinder 135mm frame. I verified this with the camera on a tripod.
>
>The 135mm Elmarit has bug eyes which work particularly well with my
>well-used M5. However, this lens is a monster, which scares my dog Fluffy
>and other living things.
>
>Best,
>
>Chris

When I first started photography (something like 30 years ago), I could only
afford a 50mm lens which was the "standard" lens which came with an SLR.
The more priviledged shutterbugs those days would have the classic
combination of 35-50-135 lenses and these were the envy of the others.

For many years, I shot everything with my 50mm lens and my legs became my
zoom. I learnt composition, lighting, exposure control, etc with the 50mm
lens. I have since bought more lenses and the 50mm lens was put onto the
shelf for many years.

Three years ago, I bought another 50mm lens and this time autofocus (for my
Nikon) and I rediscovered the joy of using the 50 all over again - bright
viewfinder, large aperture and modest price.  The pictures were always
sharp; after all the 50mm lens has its design perfected years back.  Then
came the leica-M system and the 50mm has  been my favourite lens to use.  I
am always comfortable with this focal length and I can photograph almost
everything with it.

If I am given the choice of only one focal length to pick, it will be the 50mm.

Never leave home without it... (is that the advice from AMEX too?).

Dan