Subject: Re: Photo Magazines
From: Pablo_Mendoza@ROOSEVELT-PROVOST.ucsd.edu
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 13:35:00 -0700

     Magazines Subscribed to:

        Popular Photography - Mostly for the curmudgeon columns of Herbert
     Keppler and Jason Schneider.

        Shutterbug - for the classifieds.

        Aperture - for the high quality of reproduction and attention to
     topic

        Blind Spot - absolutely incredible photography

        Photo District News - great coverage of photography as a
     profession.

        American Photo - some good topic examination.

     Those that I frequently buy on the stand:

        View Camera - wonderful reproduction and good examination of
     concepts.

        Photo - french, just to see what other people in the world look at.

        Photographies - french, to actually read and see a different
     perspective

        Asahi Camera - japanese.  I read Chinese, so can usually decipher
     most of the articles.  They are really more gadget oriented(pretty
     obvious huh) than Americans.

        Reportage - french, strong photojournalism content

        Outdoor Photographer - Galen Rowell's examination of color theory
     is very educational.

        Fotographies - spanish, a general photojournal with some very
     strange stuff.

        Zoom and Communications Arts Photo Annual - to see graphism.

     Those that I pick up at library sales, garage sales, close-out stands
     at camera stores, or read at the library:

        British Journal of Photography - If you really want to test your
     technical knowledge, read a copy from the 1970's.  Great stuff.

        Leica View - of course.

        Viewfinder - of course.

        Rangefinder news - basically a portrait photographer's rag, some
     good articles from time to time.

        Minolta Mirror, Nikon World, Olympus View, Pentax Reader - Strong
     portfolios of different professional work from around the world -
     using the manufacturer's equipment of course.

        I don't read too many of the British Rags, like Photo Technique or
     Practical Photography, just too much like teenagers in heat over
     technology sort of mags.  Was surprised to see Roger Hicks articles in
     there.  But then again, he is an odd sort of an odd person.

        Anyway...I wish I could read German.  I imagine there is a lot I'm
     missing because of this deficiency.

     Pablo
     pmendoza@ucsd.edu