Subject: Re: SCA Flash?
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 15:21:47 -0400 (EDT)

At 09:40 PM 10/12/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Dumb ? time:	after all these years with rangefinders and doing
>mostly outdoors or available lite I now find that I actually have
>to know something about flash.  I see it mentioned that the TTL
>capabilities of certain Leica cameras require SCA compatible flash units
>and I don't know what this means.  On the few times I've had to use a
>flash on my M6 I used a Vivitar 283.  Any help would be much appreciated.
>
>Ernie nitka

The M cameras have no TTL flash capability, so you can use whatever you
want.  The R cameras vary--they have progressed from a "flash ready" light
to TTL to fill flash.  "SCA" refers to modules that attach to the bottom of
certain brands of flash (all German, I think) to adapt the flash to whatever
TTL system you have.  The number of the module (expressed as "SCA 301" or
whatever) will vary, depending on your system, and Leica R's have gone
through several.  The advantage of this system is that you can have one
flash and, by changing modules, use it on different cameras with
incompatible TTL systems.  The disadvantage is that it limits your flash
selection.  I think Metz is an excellent brand that uses these SCA thingies.
Charles E. Love, Jr.
517 Warren Place
Ithaca, New York
14850