Subject: Re: 35mm Asph./ASPHERICAL
From: "Hubert Nowotny" <hubertn@mail.ctr.co.at>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 10:10:08 +0100

Brian,

Thank you so much for supporting!

The message I wanted to send was that test results are not the full
truth (in fact, they are not more and not less than a part of a
spectrum). This was written because of many people believing that the
whole truth (or at least, a reasonable part of it)  lies in lab test reports and their figures ...

Have a fine day
Hubert

> Date:          Tue, 15 Oct 1996 20:42:24 -0400
> To:            leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> From:          dlevy@worldy.com
> Subject:       Re: 35mm Asph./ASPHERICAL

> At 02:59  15/10/96 +0100, you wrote:
>

> >Then, to come to the point: Testing high end equipment leaves the
> >range of measurable data. Wer'e talking about top quality equipment
> >(and it wouldn't be top quality/high end/call it as you like if you could
> > _measure_ a flaw!). It's the same case for high end hifi equipment
> >BTW, all units will deliver excellent test results.
> >

> Unfortunately, this is not true regarding high end excellent sounding audio
> equipment. You can design equipment which will test excellent on the bench
> and sound terrible. Early transistor designs were a proof of this. The were
> designed to have both thd, im distortion and frequency response which would
> beat tube equipment, but sounded absolutely terrible. Even today, most
> transistor designs of low and mid hi-fi components have tests results which
> are better than say Audio Research, new Dynaco, etc., but the tube equip
> still sounds better. Also, there are very good solid state designs today
> which don't test any better than the mid-fi equipment, but kill it sonically.
>
> Both audio equipment and lenses exhibit certain nuances which I think to
> date can not of have not been quantified by objective criteria.
(...)
* Von/From: HUBERT NOWOTNY, CTR Hatzenberger & Nowotny OEG
* A-1040 Wien/Vienna, Kettenbrueckengasse 16 (Austria, Europe ...)
* Tel ++43-1- 586 20 22 - 0, Fax ++43-1- 586 20 22 - 24
* hubertn@ctr.co.at, http://www.ctr.co.at/ctr/