Subject: Re: 50mm focal length / M 1:1,4/75 mm
From: "Hubert Nowotny" <hubertn@mail.ctr.co.at>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 10:27:07 +0100

Kevin,

I compared (some 4 years ago) the 1:1.4/75 mm M with built-in hood
with the M 1:1.0/50 mm Noctilux (detachable hood) and found the
difference more than visible (and therefore ...)

Have a fine day
Hubert

> Subject:       Re: 50mm focal length / M 1:1,4/75 mm
> Date:          Wed, 16 Oct 96 10:29:00 EDT
> To:            "'leica-users'" <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
> From:          KEVIN BURKE <KBURKE@iterated.com>

> >From: Hubert Nowotny
>
> [...]
> >I had this Summilux M 75 mm lens and sold it again(for me it had
> >too low contrast, it was too heavy; well, I was disappointed and
> >didn't like it). But, however, if you need the focal length and the
> >aperture, it's the only lens available for M in this class.
>
> Interesting to read your observations Hubert.  I picked up a fairly recent
> example (by serial number) of this lens and had a different experience.
> I also have the 90/2  (approx. 8 years old) and have written to the group
> about quick comparisons between them.  I re-examined the Kodachrome
> 200 I shot with both lenses just last night and again found the contrast of
> the
> 90/2 to be a little lower in the near focus range near max aperture.  This
> 75/1.4 has noticably higher contrast in the same range - so much so
> that people's eyelashes sometimes look like they're wearing mascara
> at first glance.  This may be a calibration issue on my part.  I've shot
> with the 90/2 for a long time and like it's character.
>
> Prior to picking up the 75/1.4 I now have, I tried an older one from my
> local dealer.  I was able to shoot the two lenses (older 75 & newer 75)
> side by side for a short time.  Unfortunately, my film choice was not a
> good one for critical judgement but both lenses displayed a similar
> high contrast performance in the near focusing range, at or near
> maximum aperture.  On occasion, the older one seemed to resolve
> fine lines (eyelashes) near the center of the field slightly better than
> the newer one.  However, I didn't shoot in a very controlled situation with
> a film good for making firm judgements.  Overall, the two lenses
> were very, very similar.  Contrast, color and field flatness seemed
> the same to me.
>
> Both lenses I compared were the version with the integrated hoods.
* Von/From: HUBERT NOWOTNY, CTR Hatzenberger & Nowotny OEG
* A-1040 Wien/Vienna, Kettenbrueckengasse 16 (Austria, Europe ...)
* Tel ++43-1- 586 20 22 - 0, Fax ++43-1- 586 20 22 - 24
* hubertn@ctr.co.at, http://www.ctr.co.at/ctr/