Subject: 35mm Summilux
From: Michael Reichmann <michael.reichmann@alphanet.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 09:26:37 -0400

>Finally, I guess its official.  The old 35 summilux is no longer listed.
>The only 35/1.4 lens available is the ASPH.  Too bad.  I know that it had
>its detractors, but it is (was) still a beautiful lens.

Dan,

I've had my 35mm Summilux for a couple of years now and have had
wonderful results with it.  It's one of those lenses with real Leica
"character".  It is pretty soft between f/1.4 and f.2.8, and succeptable
to flare, but from there down I believe it to be comparable to the 35mm
Summicron in terms of resolution and contrast.  In fact I just came
across an old Pop Photo which tested it and the results support this
supposition.

Earlier this year I used it wide open at the Tokyo fish market, and
though none of the images were worth exhibition printing, so I don't
know how they'd stand up to 11"X14", 8X10s were very charming.  Funny,
over the years those people that I've "spoken" with that have one,
really appreciate its qualities, while those that don't seem to dismiss
it.

I really would enjoy an ASPH, but the price is prohibitive.  I'm
consequently thinking of getting the 35mm f/1.4 Distagon for my Contax
RTSIII, a lens which has a great reputation, and a focal length that I
need for that system.

Michael