Subject: Re: Nov 96 POP PHOTO Review of 50mm's
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 00:02:45 -0700

At 11:30 AM 10/18/96 EST, you wrote:

>Both lenses get high marks on the optical bench as well as
>in real-world situations, but the tester(s) point out that
>"a handful of Japanese 50mm lenses for SLRs actually edge
>them out. What really matters is that the Summicron-M and the
>Elmar-M are top-level performers and among the best lenses
>that can be fitted to an M-series Leica."

Pop Photo tests are worthless. They consistently get it wrong. They don't'
design lenses, and they have advertisers to make happy. BAS tests are much
more reliable and consistent with what I hear people saying from using
lenses in the real world.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR

Everyone is a genius at least once a year. A real genius has his ideas
closer together.