Subject: Re: Nov 96 POP PHOTO Review of 50mm's vs. BAS
From: Daniel Cardish <dcardish@spherenet.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 08:04:37 -0400

At 12:02 AM 19/10/96 -0700, you wrote:
>At 11:30 AM 10/18/96 EST, you wrote:
>
>>Both lenses get high marks on the optical bench as well as
>>in real-world situations, but the tester(s) point out that
>>"a handful of Japanese 50mm lenses for SLRs actually edge
>>them out. What really matters is that the Summicron-M and the
>>Elmar-M are top-level performers and among the best lenses
>>that can be fitted to an M-series Leica."
>
>Pop Photo tests are worthless. They consistently get it wrong. They don't'
>design lenses, and they have advertisers to make happy. BAS tests are much
>more reliable and consistent with what I hear people saying from using
>lenses in the real world.

I recently obtained a BAS report on Leica M lens from the Leica distributer
in Canada.  They all scored very high.  To make a fair comparison, how can I
obtain BAS reports on other lens, for instance Nikon, Minolta, or Canon?  Is
there a web site that stores these test?

Dan Cardish  <dcardish@spherenet.com>
                        <http://www.spherenet.com/dcardish/photo.htm>