Subject: Re: Old Leicaflex...
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 10:09:51 -0400 (EDT)

At 11:11 AM 10/21/96 +0200, you wrote:
>Dear Leica Users,
>
>I'm normally not a Leica user (unfortunately?) but use more affordable
>Nikon gear. I've been lent an old Leicaflex (w external meter) with a
>Summicron R 50 2 that the owner has recently bought in a camera fair.
>I'd like to check if it's still in working condition and I'd like to
>know more about its (limited?) capabilities: is there a DOF preview?

There is no DOF preview, because there's no focusing screen as the term is
usually understood.  The camera is in concept like a rangefinder, with only
the center spot usable for focusing--the rest of the frame will always look
sharp, because it's not ground glass.  This is certainly a limitation,
though interesting, because you cannot see DOF, and because the camera
cannot be focused with long lenses (Leica's position on this has varied, but
the limit is either 135mm. or 180mm).

>What about multi-exposures? Between the timer lever and the lens lock
>button, there is another lever. What is its use?

That extra lever is a mirror lifter.  It must be used when used with the
21mm. lens that  was designed for the camera (not the current reflex 21, but
an adaptation of an M-lens, with a rear element that sticks far into the
camera and an external viewfinder).

 Is the mount fully
>compatible with current R lenses?

Well, the mount is, but many current R lenses cannot be used, because the
"brow" over the lens mount restricts the physical width of lenses that can
be mounted.  So, e.g., you cannot use the 35 1.4 or the 80 1.4, among
others.  Leica technical services will have a full listing.  However, any
lens that can be mounted and has 3 cams (that is, any lens except the ones
described as "R only" which have only the 3rd cam).  (BTW, I think any lens
that was made as "R only" was also made as a 3-cammer.)

 How about the shutter precision
>(1/2000 is quite rapid for such an old camera).

Most mechanical cameras have accuracy problems at their highest shutter
speeds.  But this camera and its descendents (SL and SL2) have excellent,
fully adjustible shutters.  If you get it overhauled it should be OK.

>Thanks for any help,
>
>Nicolas.

Charles E. Love, Jr.
517 Warren Place