Subject: Re: Old Leicaflex...
From: JayPax@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 23:07:59 -0400

<< 'm normally not a Leica user (unfortunately?) but use more affordable
 Nikon gear. I've been lent an old Leicaflex (w external meter) with a
 Summicron R 50 2 that the owner has recently bought in a camera fair.
 I'd like to check if it's still in working condition and I'd like to
 know more about its (limited?) capabilities: is there a DOF preview?
 What about multi-exposures? Between the timer lever and the lens lock
 button, there is another lever. What is its use? Is the mount fully
 compatible with current R lenses? How about the shutter precision
 (1/2000 is quite rapid for such an old camera).

Nicholas:

Several comments about your Leicaflex:

It is a strictly manual camera, using a "match needle" type of metering
system when you look through the viewfinder.  Of course, the meter does not
meter through the lens, but out of the meter port in the pentaprism.

Now to your  other questions:

There is no depth of field preview feature available on this camera.  It
would not be usable since the entire focusing screen does not show the point
of focus, but focus is determined only within the 7mm circle in the middle of
the viewing screen.

There is no multiple exposure capability.

>Between the timer lever and the lens lock
 button, there is another lever. What is its use?<

This is the mirror lock up lever.  In the halfway down position, (i.e. at 90
deg.) the mirror will stay up on the next exposure.  The mirror can be
returned to the down (viewing) position by returning the lever the top
position.  In the full down (i.e. 180 deg.) position, the mirror will stay
down until you return the lever to the top position and take another
exposure.  I am not quite sure about the reason for these two positions,
other than with some of the early wide angle lenses, I believe you had to
keep the mirror up all the time to use the lenses because they were not of a
retrofocus design.

<Is the mount fully
 compatible with current R lenses?>

Yes, there is generally backwards compatability.  In other words, you can use
all current Leica lenses on this camera, (with a few exceptions in regard to
some exotic lenses -- be careful with this.....if you would like a list of
them, e-mail me and I will let you know what they are, according to Brian
Bower's book), but of course, there will be no automatic aperture control,
etc. since this camera is not capable of it.  There are also some current
Leica lenses (marked "For Leica R Only") that are not compatible with this
camera.

Also, remember that in regard to very long lenses and wide diameter lenses,
although they may otherwise be compatible with this camera, they will
interefere with the metering cell since the diameter of the lens will
partially block it.  It would be better to meter with a hand-held meter in
these cases.

<How about the shutter precision
 (1/2000 is quite rapid for such an old camera).>

This is something to be checked out.  Open the camera and with the lens
removed, shoot the shutter against a light table or an evenly lit opaque
light source.  You may be able to determine un-even travel of the shutter.
 Of course, this will not allow you to determine how accurate the shutter is,
but an uneven shutter is likely inaccurate too!  So, this "test" may be
helpful to you. Of course, another way to test the shutter is to run a roll
of film through it.  Use chrome film rather than print film since the greater
exposure latitude of the print film will mask what may otherwise be an
irregular shutter travel or wrong speed.

A "CLA"  ("Clean, Lubricate and Adjust") from Leica USA runs about $300-400
on this camera to fix an inaccurate shutter.  Ouch!  Since I believe you are
in Europe, you might inquire with Leica in Solms about the cost there.

Enjoy!!  It is a wonderful beast.

Jay P..

JayPax@aol.com