Subject: Re: CAUTION!! *LONG* --- Business Magazine Article featuring Leica --- Note LONG!!!
From: James J Dempsey <jjd@k12-nis-2.bbn.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 08:50:11 -0500

> Leica is still best known for its ultra-sturdy, ultra-quiet manual
> cameras, which are pricey and rare. it produces only 10,000 a year of
> the M series, the classic rangefinder, and 7,000 of the R series, the
> single-lens reflex (SLR) model. The average price of a Leica is $800,
> more than twice that of any other brand.

Excuse me?  Where do they get that the "average" Leica is $800.  I'd
love to pick up a new M or R for $800.

I guess if you count by number of cameras sold and you count Leica
Minis, Mini Zooms and miniluxes, then perhaps the average is $800.
However,  I find that statement very misleading.  Especially since the
article never mentioned any of the low-end leicas.

                       --Jim Dempsey--
                         jjd@bbn.com
              http://frontdoor.bbn.com/users/jjd