Subject: Weird problem with M6 and infrared film
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@spherenet.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 16:29:55 -0400

I just developed a roll of infrared film taken with my M6 and 35 summilux.
On several of the frames, there is a thin 3 mm band extending across the top
of the frame.  The band has the appearance of underexposure.  It extends
across both sky and foreground objects so I am certain that it is not
something that I actually photographed.  It has the exact same appearance in
every frame that it appears: starts off about 2 mm wide at the left edge,
and then ends up 3 mm at the right edge.  The bottom edge of the band is
fairly sharp but not completely distinct.  The band does not extend past the
photo frame and does not always appear in consecutive frames (even frames
which are very similar).

I will make a contact of the film, and hopefully make it available in
digital format, but in the meantime, does anyone have any idea as to what is
going on?  The band is in the same direction as the shutter travels, so I
can't see how it can be a fault with the shutter (or can it?).  I've
examined the camera and it appears to be operating normally.

I have cross posted this letter to both the LUG and the Infrared users list
because I am not sure where the problem lies.

Dan Cardish  <dcardish@spherenet.com>
                        <http://www.spherenet.com/dcardish/photo.htm>