Subject: Re: Weird problem with M6 and infrared film
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@spherenet.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 00:13:34 -0400

At 04:40 AM 31/10/96 +0000, joe b. wrote:

[snip]
>I can't help thinking this would be consistent with light somehow
>leaking through the shutter according to how long that light was hitting
>the shutter for each frame. There is no mirror in the M6, just a
>rubberised cloth shutter, and light passing through the lens will be
>hitting that shutter, so walking around outdoors in daylight without a
>lens cap on may ...[snip]

Its true that I never use lens caps, especially with the particular lens I
was using that day (the filter fits in the lens hood, not directly on the
lens, making the use of a cap inconvenient).  And it is also true that I
once had a history of light leaks with that camera, but it was repaired
years ago, and the symptoms were nothing like the problem I am having now.
I just had a close look at the camera.  The shutter looks perfect.  No signs
of wear or any other marks on the curtains that match the pattern on the
film, and certainly no signs of light leaking through.  Furthermore,  the
band looks too even across the frame.  If light were leaking through the
shutter curtains, since it is being focused by the lens, there should be
some unevenness, depending on where I happened to be pointing the camera
while it hung over my shoulder.

Finally, I've never had the problem with infrared film before with this
camera, and I normally rate the film at a speed half of what I did on the
occasion.  In other words,  this particular roll received much less exposure
than I normally use (and apart from the banding, the negatives look like
they were exposed nicely without the deep burnt in areas that I normally
get).  I only have one roll of HIE left in my freezer, so I don't want to
waste it.  The local store is out of stock.  Maybe I'll try testing the
camera with some Fuji 1600 Neopan.  I would like to believe Joe Paduano's
explanation that it was bad film, but the markings match the frames just too
closely.

By the way, I was using a B&W 92 filter (similar to an 89B, I think),
metered through the lens with a setting on the camera of 1600, developed in
D76 straight for 11min at 20.5 deg C.

Dan Cardish  <dcardish@spherenet.com>
                        <http://www.spherenet.com/dcardish/photo.htm>