Subject: Re: Leica M6 versus Medium Format
From: "Michael L. Gardner" <mikeg@neca.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 08:37:23 -0800

KEN_GERLACH@HP-MountainView-om1.om.hp.com wrote:
>      As you can see I would like to use the lighter weight Leica system and >      still achieve sharp gallery quality B&W prints close to what I get
>      with the Pentax 67 system.  I would be very appreciative if you would
>      offer your thoughts to my questions.
>
>     Ken,
  I use the Pentax 67 for B&W work extensively.  I also use Leica R and
  Leica M6.  Although I use the M6 primarily with Kodachrome 64, I have
shot some B&W in it but many rolls of B&W in R equipment.
If I understand your goals correctly,  what you are proposing won't work
to your satisfaction.  I have tried a similar approach myself trying to
come close to MF quality with 35.  If you value sharpness and minimal
grain, you will never get MF quality from a little 35 neg and ultimately
it is grain that is the problem no matter what film you use. The closest
I came to matching 67 sharpness and "look" was shooting TMX-100 in the
Leica.  However, even with TMX the grain was what showed as the main
difference when comparing 11x14 prints. IMO, the contrast and sharpness
that we value in Leica glass accentuates the grain in B&W film and with
most films is readily apparent even in an 8X10.  FYI, I usually shoot
TMY
in the 67 and HP5+ or APX100 in Leica.  Ultimately, I use both.  The 67
for almost 4X5 quality in scenes requiring fine detail and the Leica for
when I wish to be less burdened but still produce prints with excellent
sharpness and rich tonalities.
- - M6 meter is fine.  My chromes are usually on the money exposure-wise.
  For B&W, meter shadowed area and close down one stop. works for me.
- - Unless you've already conquered it, Tech-pan can be a fickle partner
especially for pictorial work.  Very easy to get uneven development in
continous tone areas.  It can be done but I prefer the consistency of
more conventional films so I can spend my time making photographs rather
than fighting film/chemistry.
This is getting lengthy but I agree with Roger; borrow or rent an M6
before you get rid of the excellent P67.  Feel free to email me
personally if you wish to continue the discussion.
The "long-winded"  Mike Gardner