Subject: Re: most used lens
From: Mark_Bishop@ipc.co.uk
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 14:23:53 +0000

My most used lens is the 35 1.4 Summilux-M ASPH. I use it 100 percent of the
time for the simple reason that it is the only lens I own. There are two reasons
for this. The first is that, being somewhat puritanical in my approach, I bought
both this and my M6 new, and this blew my budget (though the quality of the
results and the anticipated length of ownership justify the investment). The
second is that I am getting into the zen of having just one camera and one lens,
and using them so much that their operation and the visualisation of their
results becomes instinctive.

Not so long ago I had a top-line polycarbonate autofocus SLR with three zoom
lenses - wideangle, standard and tele. With choices of what lens to use, what
focal length within it, which exposure, motoring, drive and focus mode, the
camera got in the way of picture-making, rather than being a servant to it.

My 35mm lens is as good a quality optic as you are likely to find anywhere, it's
fast so I don't need to worry about the harshness of flash and the angle of view
is naturalistic. Combining this with the M6 body (black for unobtrusiveness)
enables me to work quickly within limits that I understand.