Subject: Re: The look/glow!
From: pgs@thillana.lcs.mit.edu (Patrick Sobalvarro)
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 18:13:35 -0500

   From: "Roger L. Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
   Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 08:26:58 -0700 (MST)

   As a fairly new Leica user, I'm interested in hearing from the list as to
   what their idea is of the M or R lens that has the quintessential Leica
   Look/Glow! In other words, if you could specify one M or R lens that most
   typifies the look, what would it be?

I think Roger asks a fascinating question here.  I use three Leica R
lenses -- the 28 (Elmarit), 50 (Summicron) and 135.  I think I see the
"look" in the appearance of out-of-focus highlights in the 28.  I
haven't really noticed anything different with the other lenses.  The
28 is the old style, with the bayonet hood and Series VII filters; the
50 is newer, with 55mm filters, and the 135 is intermediate -- it was
one of the last ones to takes series filters.

I'm wondering whether other people with the 28 Elmarit-R think they
see a difference in its rendition of out-of-focus images when compared
to non-Leica lenses, or whether I'm just imagining things.

- -Patrick