Subject: The Rare, The Leica, The Zenit
From: Stephen Gandy <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 18:31:03 -0800

Don Bledsoe wrote:

> Please excuse my ignorance as I am new to Leica cameras, but what would be
> the purpose or reason for putting an M3 viewfinder in an M6?
>
> Regards,
> Don

The serious answer is to have a finder with the larger image size (.9
lifesize vs .72 lifesize) and greater RF accuracy in a M6 body with its
metering and winder abilities.

Another answer is that Leica Lovers LOVE whatever is rare or impossible
to have, and therefore will do ridiculous things to obtain the
unobtainable.   While its a bit flippant, it also contains a lot of
truth.   When Leica 72's were cheap at $200, no one would buy them.  Now
they are rare and desirable at $30,000, people with deep pockets line
up.

We love gadgets, we love the rare, and we love having things which other
people don't.
If Leicas were cheap and common, but Zenits were rare and expensive, I
have a strong suspicion this would be the Zenit Users Digest (Ugh ZUG!).

Stephen Gandy