Subject: I *want* that cheap plastic!
From: Jack Campin <jack@purr.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 14:37:00 +0000

Charles E. Love, Jr. wrote:
> Also, there are lots of cheaper lenses (non-Leica) that have decent hoods.
> For example, I have Pentax 67 lenses, and the hoods are much easier to use
> and better built than the Leica M 21 and 28 hoods; some are even metal!
> Leica itself has built some pretty good ones too--e.g. the old R 19 2.8, and
> the current Summicron 35 F2.  My objection isn't to the plastic, but to the
> low quality, deformation,

The way I use cameras, hoods had better *not* be high quality; they're the
bit that's most likely to bash into things, and a plastic one is less
likely to get seriously bent or transmit shock to the lens than a metal one.
I'd settle for a regular supply of cheap disposable plastic ones.  (Rubber
is fine, too).  Not everything in photography needs to be designed as an
heirloom.

A Pentax 67 is presumably much less likely to get walloped head-on into
hard objects than a Leica, so a more durable hood perhaps makes sense there.

jack@purr.demon.co.uk  -  Jack Campin, 2 Haddington Place, Edinburgh EH7 4AE