Subject: Re: 50 mm macro???Pleease help!
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 00:40:56 -0500

At 10:22 AM 11/8/96 -0500, Hal Robinson wrote:

>I have a question that pertains to a
>fifty mm Summicon lens.   On the top of the lens there is a small button,
>when pushed I am able to push the lens out half an inch and slide it over so
>that I can focus it on a different scale.(It is not measured in feet or
>meters on this side of the lens, the other side is, as on most the other
>lens)  Is the a macro function? This "other" side of the lens is labeled in
>ins. and has marking from 20 to 32 and ratios such as 1:12 on this scale.
>Any help would be appreciated.

This is a 'dual-range' or 'near-focus' Summicron, a variant of the
first-generation rigid version.  You need an auxiliary eyepiece set to focus
the close-up distances properly:  this slips onto the top bridge and
depresses the button you mention when installed.

These eyepieces are often found by themselves for $100 to $150.  The lens is
most impressive and the close-up eyepieces increase its flexibility
substantially (well, they do if you don't mislay them, like George Zartarian
does!)

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!