Subject: Re: Leica --> EOS adapter
From: "joe b." <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 00:37:06 +0000

In article <9611081811.AC27940@mail.a1.nl>, Willem-Jan Markerink
<w.j.markerink@a1.NL> writes
(re unsuitability of using 19mm Elmarit-R on adaper on EOS due to rear
element hazard)
>Did it hit?

After my up-and-down experiences with this adaptor so far, the last
thing I'm going to try right now is doing what they actually say in the
instructions will endanger the rear element of a hugely expensive one-
chance-in-this-lifetime-purchase Leica lens! But maybe I'm just being a
bit cautious.

>Sometimes it is a matter of fractions of mm's.

When I feel my emotional stability is fully returned, I may experiment.

>Note also that the EOS-1(n) is more likely to be affected than its
>lesser EOS brothers and sisters, since their mirror isn't of the 100%
>variety.
>But as an owner of an RT, you shouldn't worry much about this,
>right?....;-))

It was actually the 1n I wanted to use because it has various features
that go together nicely, like easy to set exposure compensation, mirror-
pre-release available on first press of the cable release and shutter
release on 2nd press (that allows the mirror to go back if you don't use
that exposure within a certain time), exposure bracketing, built-in
winder that doesn't need separate batteries, good manual metering
readout, illuminated lcd, long settable exposure times up to 30 sec,
auto rewind, and stuff like that. I can see myself doing a certain
amount of macro work comparatively effortlessly like that, with an
elderly 65mm Elmar-V on elderly Leica bellows on an EOS 1n body. And at
some future time I want to do flower shots with an uncoated 90mm/f4
screw Elmar on (yet another) adapter. I have just got this rather
minimalist Russian L39->M42 adapter that looks like it could easily get
screwed into (and get lost forever inside) the camera body since it has
no lip to stop that happening. Probably intended to use Zenit 3m lenses
(L39 thread but not LTM register) on newer Zenit (M42) bodies. That, or
something like it, would go on an M42-> EOS adapter. I don't know if I
dare try it. But I *do* like having all these possibilities. How many
people use a 1933 uncoated lens on an EOS body? Enquiring minds want to
know.
- --
joe b.