Subject: IIIa Frame Allignment on Film
From: Benjamin Marks <bm4f@hobbes.itc.virginia.edu>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 19:39:21 -0500 (EST)

I recently bought two IIIa's from different sources.  I've been using
M3/M4/M6 for a couple of years and was interested to see what the older
rangefinders were like.  Both camreas exhibit the following:

On the bottom of the developed film, the exposed area extends down to the
tops of the sprocket-holes in the film. The top of the image is about 1.1
mm from the top sprocket-holes and seems parallel with the edge of the
film.

Any comments on this phenoninon?  I would have thought it a defect in the
way the film runs through the camera were both cameras not exhibiting the
same symptoms.  Or, more likely, it could be human error...

Other than the above the results on b&w film are great:  the images are
sharp and contrasty and print easily.

Comments or other information welcome.

Benjamin Marks
bm4f@virginia.edu