Subject: Re: Noctilux f1
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@spherenet.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 00:16:14 -0400

At 09:29 PM 11/11/96 +0100, Erwin Puts wrote:

[snip]

>But do not approach the Noctilux as the champion for dark nights only. It
>has more to offer.
>Yes it is heavy and expensive. And it obscures part of the viewfinder. And
>it has an absurdly small depth of field around 3 or 4 metres at full
>aperture. You have to train yourself to get correctly focused pictures.
>Yes, the accuracy of the M6 rangefinder is OK. I made careful tests on this
>point.

A very interesting discussion.   It seems as if the stong points of the
Noctilux have nothing to do with its large maximum aperature.  If this is
so, maybe it would be possible to build a case for Leica to construct a
simpler smaller aperature (and hopefully smaller price) optic that would
have similar properties, i.e. good shadow detail, colour differentiation
etc.  Low light photography would be done with less expensive and more
suitable summiluxes.

Dan C.