Subject: Re: What would an M7 have?
From: "Otto J. Anshus" <otto@cs.uit.no>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 12:50:20 +0100

> From: Christopher Hoover <cdhoover@pacbell.net>
> Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 08:16:53 -0800
> Subject: What would an M7 have?

I don't know about an M7, but I know what irritates me with when using
an M6. Therefore, I would like an updated M6 to have:

- -A bigger shutter wheel with a better feel and more pronounced click
stops. Rationale: Its hard to use the M6 shutter speed wheel with gloves
on because you loose sensitivity. The result is that the wheel ends up
in between the clicks, and especially hitting the 1/50 setting is almost
impossible without several tries. When its really cold (20C-30C below
zero) its even harder.

- -A more "grabbable" frame switching level. Rationale:  Today it is too
hard to use it with gloves on. When using the 90/2.0 I even have
problems using it without gloves.

- -A light meter switching its coverage when switching frames. Rationale:
It does so today when switching lenses.

- -A flash contact cover that stays put. Rationale: I'm on my n'th cover.
I have assumed that the M6 was designed to be used with my cloths on. I
was wrong. My jacket has a tendency to grab the cover and stealthly
remove it when I'm occupied with repositioning myself for the next
picture.

- -A viewer with a better eye relief. Rationale: I usually like to see
what I'm taking a picture of, and a viewer designed with a "cost no
objection" approach must surely be justified.

- -A raised frame around the small rangefinder window. Rationale: I put my
finger on this window all the time leaving spots. This reduces the
crispness of the focusing image. And the spots can not easily be removed
when its cold (please try).

- -A battery compartment cover with a bayonet type of locking. Rationale:
My battery compartment cover is too often either stuck or loose. Both
states are wrong. Even if I just once have had to change batteries at
10C below zero, the process of removing my gloves, and fighting with the
cover to get it open was not a credit to the M6. I also lost a picture
of a cat chasing a dog chasing a fox.

- -A film advance arm without the "plastic" part. Rationale: My jacket
catches the plastic part and pulls the arm out. It is also not very
satisfying that the plastic part scratches the finish of the arm. Makes
me wonder.

That's it. The rest I would be somewhat more hesitant to experiment too
much with.

Otto
otto@cs.uit.no