Subject: Re: Light, portable camera
From: Oddmund Garvik <garvik@i-t.fr>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 08:43:48 -0800

Don Bledsoe wrote:

> Brad Reisner wrote:
>
> > Nobody likes the Minilux ? I was about to go down to Tamarkin and pick
> one
> > up this week for a trip (where I don't want to take my M).
>
> Brad,
>
> I think you need to ask that question of someone who actually owns a
> Minilux.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if most of the negative opinions
> on the Minilux are coming from folks who do not and have not owned one.
>
> I own one and simply love it.  The 40mm f/2.4 Summarit lens is outstanding.
>  In fact it is fabulous in my opinion.  Someone here mentioned that shutter
> speeds only go to 1/300.  Not true.  They go to 1/400.

I have tried one during a week, but was not convinced. According to a
test in the french magazine, Chasseur d'images, the real speeds go up to
1/380. I don't know if this is in auto or manual, or both of them.

I can have all the
> control over the camera I want or go to AE, AE aperture priority, auto
> focus, manual focus, flash, no flash, etc.  But one thing I like about it
> is when I turn it on it is ready to go in any lighting situation.  If I am
> in a hurry to simply snap a photo I won't miss the opportunity with the
> Minilux.  The camera is hell for stout, looks great, feel great, and
> performs great.

Not a word about the viewfinder, which is useless if you want to control
what you are doing. The Minilux has a good lens, but the rest is less
good. I should like that selected functions would not be turned off when
the camera is turned off. Then it would be up to the user to customize
the camera according to personal preferences. I don't like the AUTO
flash at all! You have to push the tiny button six times to get rid of
the flash. That is not very convenient.

I think Minolta did a much better job than Leica, with their TC-1. A 28
mm lens though is a little too wide for all round use, so I wont buy
this one either.

The Rollei 35 is my choice together with the Contax TVS. I am waiting
for the next generation of Minilux. If Leica was able to come out with
the M cameras, they should be able to come out with a more intelligent
version of Minilux. Let us still hope!

Oddmund