Subject: Re: Light, portable camera
From: "Don Bledsoe" <dbledsoe@micron.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 08:48:58 -0700

Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> The Minox 35s are a polycarbonate body and use a trap door to fold
[snip]
> However, the Rollei is a tougher
> camera, except for the economy B, C and LED models they are all
> aluminum chassis with superb finish.

I haven't found the Rollei to be any tougher than the Minox.  I once
dropped a Rollei 35S while it was inside its leather case.  Dropped from
about waste high, maybe a bit more, on to concrete.  The right front corner
of the top plate took a nice dent in the aluminum and fouled the wind
lever.  It had to be sent in for repair to get it working again.  I once
dropped a Minox 35EL in a soft leather case out the back of a moving Army 5
ton truck I was riding in when the truck hit a good sized bump in the road.
 The Minox went out of my hand, hit the tailgate, bounced off that then hit
the hardpan road we were traveling on.  The truck was not moving fast and I
was able to hop out and retrieved the Minox.  An estimate would put the
drop at about 7 feet after bouncing off the tailgate.  The leather case was
scuffed but there was no damage to the camera.  I still have it and use it.
 The Rollei was repaired and then later suffered some electrical failure.
It now sits in the junk box.

For what it's worth.

Don