Subject: Re: Rollei (sorry...)
From: "Roger L. Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 18:31:47 -0700 (MST)

At 01:03 PM 11/20/96 +0100, Hans Pahlen wrote:
>Inspired by this forum, I just bought a used Rolle1 35TE (black) at my local
>photo shop.
>The price was $150.
>
>I am a bit curious if it was a good price, and if the camera and lens is any
>good.
>
>I apologize for putting this question here, but I think even Leica
>photographers have use for a small pocketable camera sometimes.

I wrote the following and stored it a day to see what the results would be
to Han's post. Though only Oddmund has responded so far, it perfectly
illustrates my point. Oddmund's response hasn't a shred of Leica in it. Of
course, and not surprisingly, his lengthy discourse on "why photograph" or
whatever its title was, also has no relevance to Leica.
- --------
May I ask a favor? This involves many more than just, you, Hans. My comment
is directed to all, but your post acted as the trigger.

Yes, I'm sure that many Leica photographers have use for a small pocketable
camera. In your particular case, Hans, there *is* a Rollei List. Not only is
your post off topic from the "git go", but it invites replies that will
surely last over a long time frame and, therefore, consume much additional
space on this rather specific list.

It was recently suggested here that perhaps a list dedicated to quality
pocketable cameras be started. The suggestor [sic] even volunteered to
oversee the list. Right on!

Oh sure, we can pick up this thread and run with it based on comparisons
with Mini Leicas, but be honest before posting. If it's off topic at the
outset, take it to a more appropriate forum. The previously mentioned Rollei
list would be ideal. Not as good, but still better than the Leica Users
List, would be one or more of the rec.photo newsgroups.

All you folk that want this list to be the public discussion place for all
your photographic interests, please consider what brought you here in the
first place. If you insist on great diversity in this specific list, you
will drive off the very people who were here, because of the list's
specificity, when you arrived. The rec.photo.x newsgroups are a much better
forum for your needs. Use all the weapons in your arsenal.

OK, my shields are up, so fire away! Also, Hans, if you need info on the
Rollei List, email me and I'll provide info on subscribing. (Whoops, I see
that Marc already provided same, so cancel that comment)

I'll post no more on this thread to this list, but will read whatever comes
along and would encourage discussion, beyond immediate replies to this, to
be via private email.
- --
Roger Beamon
            Naturalist & Photographer