Subject: Re: Oddmund is doing odd things
From: dlevy@worldy.com
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 16:16:57 -0500

At 07:25 PM 11/24/96 -0500, you wrote:

        There does appear to be a slightly elitist and clubby segment to
>this list as well as a few who persist in treating the list as an IRC chat
>channel.

Generally, as a group communicates some tend to become closer based on
geography, interests, etc. If not why would we be communicationg. Whether
this make one an elitist, is something else. Possibly owning what may be a
unigue camera may make us elitists within the camera community. You may also
be attributing this to the fact that some on the list are very knowledgable
about Leica, its history, components and use. This could be said of the
Rollei and 3-d groups as well. Heck maybe becasue we use specific
items/brands with pride, that is the elitism.

>        A while back someone who "covers" the Whithouse was mentioning the
>fact that next to no Leica is used by the press corps on that beat. Whilst
>thumbing through my copy of Michael Evans' book "People and Power" (a
>collection of portraits of the Movers and shakers of the Reagan
>administration) I noticed that what seems to be the majority of the
>photographers photographed for the project elected to be shot sporting
>their Leica Ms.

When was those photos taken? Between then and know how many generations of
cameras come? In the early 80s, I'm sure there were far fewer professionals
who would have used zooms, than today. Though not a lover of AE, zooms,
etc., I think that I'd use both in that enviroment. Plus a motor winder.

>        Is this a case of Leica as Jewelery or is the M series camera being
>used as a visual throwback to the days when photojournalism meant a little
>more than a steady succession of prearranged photo-ops and the the Leica
>being more than any other brand the supposed choice of any "serious" photo
>journalist.

The potojournalist is market driven like most of us. If not, I think the
SPeed Graphic and Rollei TLR would still be seen. However, I think in this
day and age if a photojournalist came back from an assignment with a six
pack of 4x5 or 12 6x6, rather than several rolls of 24 or 36, I think it
could be awhile before he's used again.

Just my thoughts, fortunately, I don't this for a living!!!!

Brian Levy, J.D.
Agincourt Ont.
dlevy@worldy.com