Subject: Politics on LUG
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 22:04:10 -0500 (EST)

As one primarily responsible for the infamous "car thread" (mentioned, I
note with pride, in a recent post!) I'd say I'm in a good position to
discuss what is relevant/irrelevant/appropriate/inappropriate here--after
all, I have had experience!

Oddmund was obnoxious and self-satisfied.  He unhesitatingly threw around
inflammatory language, and seemed to enjoy provoking flame wars--I cannot
even imagine his private e-mail, given the public reactions he got here!
Furthermore, I don't find flame wars fun, and, as I've said before, I think
this group should be characterized by civility, since we are discussing one
of the great civilizing ways of life (photography with Leicas).

I should add that, now that I have Oddmund his due, people on the list with
apparently conservative points of view gave him as good as they got, and, at
the beginning, it would have been possible not to do this and instead to
listen to his non-political points (despite his throwing in political
comments).  The flame war was not entirely his fault; I think some people
took offense in a way that was about as bad as what he did.

IMHO, he did make two points worthy of consideration.  One was that Leicas
have been used, historically, to comment on social problems, and are still
being used that way today.  This is without a doubt true, and relevant to a
discussion of Leica USE.  M's have unique characteristics which suit them
well to this use.  Like it or not, those commentaries are mostly from a left
wing point of view--he was right on about Salgado, whom I have heard lecture
and whose reason for being a photographer is to help the oppressed.

Second, more broadly, this is a user's group, and so there certainly could
be discussions about the art of photography, as well as of technical detail.
Some of what he did was that.  Yes, we need to have some connection with
Leicas most of the time, but that's quite possible in "artsy" discussions,
and indeed Oddmund did mention equipment he used, including Leicas, and why
he used what he used in different contexts.  Recent posts have mentioned a
Leica equipment group, and there "artsy" discussion might be ruled out, but
not here, where the emphasis is supposed to be on use.

So I think politics can be relevant, but not central.  I don't want flame
wars, but disagreement--as it is relevant to the use of Leicas--is healthy.
Can we do that?

Charlie

Charles E. Love, Jr.
CEL14@CORNELL.EDU