Subject: Re: Leica versus Hasselblad(Zeiss) glass
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@spherenet.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 18:52:48 -0400

At 01:37 PM 27/11/96 EST, Kevin wrote:

>I originally mailed Brad directly with a short list of my impressions
>on the Leica/Hasselblad issue.

[snip]

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this discussion:  The aperture
blades of the Hasselblad CF lenses (specifically the ones I know about; the
80/2.8 and the 120/4) are much simpler in design than Leica lenses.
Out-of-focus light sources can be distracting  due to the five-sided iris
shape that appears in pictures taken with Hasselblads at large lens
openings.   Leica lenses typically have many more blades in their apertures
(~10  I think?).  This could have more subtle effects in all out of focus
areas that could make Leica pictures appear better (the "glow"?).

Dan C.