Subject: Russar 20mm problem
From: Jack Campin <jack@purr.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 13:47:00 +0000

"Charles E. Dunlap" <cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu> wrote:
> Russars are hit and miss. [...] I haven't had the problem with the front
> element that the two of you refer to. What I have seen is softness (heck,
> clearly blurred) in the bottom right corner of my images. I usually shoot
> at f/16, so this must be a grinding error in the lens. I don't see nearly
> as much blur in the bottom left. I can't say yet about the top.

Have you compared this with what you get with other non-retrofocus lenses
of comparable focal length?  Sounds equally possible that the pressure plate
in the camera is misaligned.  This happened to me after dropping the camera
onto concrete; I only noticed the effect with my Canon 19mm, longer lenses
didn't show it.

jack@purr.demon.co.uk  -  Jack Campin, 2 Haddington Place, Edinburgh EH7 4AE