Subject: what's an Olympus-S like to use?
From: Jack Campin <jack@purr.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 01:15:16 +0000

[ should be on the old-low-tech-rangefinders list, but as there isn't one... ]

I've spotted a camera new to me in a junk shop here: an Olympus-S.  It has
a 42mm/1.8 G-Zuiko lens, shutter going from 1 - 1/500, and some sort of
needle meter (not working).  It looks rather more primitive at first sight
than an RC - very simple-looking stamped metal top - and is somewhat bigger,
but works in a similar way (save for the mystery meter).  All the mechanics,
including the film advance, seem to work fine, so if the optics are any good
this looks like a useful camera, particularly at only 40 pounds.  The one
drawback was that the settings are all together on rings around the lens,
have an icky plasticky feel (mainly cos they *are* plastic) and are hard to
operate quickly without looking.

Anyone out there know about these?  I've heard the RD was good, and this
seems very similar to descriptions I've read of them.

jack@purr.demon.co.uk  -  Jack Campin, 2 Haddington Place, Edinburgh EH7 4AE